You hear a great deal in London about vandalism and cars. So much so, that we’ve gotten in the habit, even in our very posh Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC), of tucking in our side view mirrors when parking. It’s less about thievery in fact than rogue drivers plowing into mirrors and the like. Today, I had a visit from Jerry the Car Guy to look at a few items that needed care on the Guzzler, most notably, the rear seatbelts don’t work. Yes, by the way, in case you are wondering, Jerry does housecalls, but that's in large part thanks to Finbar's clever negotiating of a 6 month warranty. While Jerry and I were futzing around the car, I noticed that the passenger side view mirror was flipped out, not as I had left it. Then, to my horror, I realized that there was no longer a mirror in there at all! The bright side, as Jerry pointed out, is that there was no damage to the car. The dark side, and what makes me MAD, is that some YOB literally stole our mirror. Someone literally disassembled the side view mirror to take the glass. Can you believe that?
Jerry the Car Guy told me he has a client who lives off Kensington High Street, another proud member of the RBKC. This guy owns a Range Rover. He came out one morning last week and not only had his tires been swiped, but upwards of 8 other S.U.V’s on the street had also been swiped. Did a gang of YOB’s really come and take all those tires and NOBODY noticed? This, I hate to say it, seems very typically English.
Maybe they didn’t like the looks of our Williams College sticker and had it out for the Ephs. Wait until my Trinity sticker goes up! And yes, picture to come. Soon. I promise!
Signed, Angry on the ‘Bello.
No comments:
Post a Comment