BILINGUAL
A lot of Bess's friends will speak two languages. I was thinking Bess won't, at least not until she's in school. But actually, it's becoming quite clear she'll have to. Take for example our favorite new book, Nappy Duck and Potty Pig. Yes, we live in the land of nappies. But that is one word we have not adopted (buggy, yes; diary, yes; nappy, no!). So, how to make sure Bess understands that "no more nappies for ducky" means ducky has kicked the diaper habit?!!!! I suppose I could substitute one for the other. But what about her babysitters who call it a nappy? She's just going to have to be bilingual. I was visiting a primary school today (looking ahead to Bess being 4) and in the computer class they were talking about the color of the little girl's "jumper." And I thought, hmm....jumper, going to have to teach Bess that jumper=sweater. I'm sure there will be many more.Some of our favorite words we've adopted so as not to immediately stand out in day-t0-day conversations:- Buggy (stroller) (by far Sammy's favorite word and a new one for Bess)
- Diary (calendar)
- Bin (garbage can)
- Massage (with an emphasis on the first syllable rather than the second) (Very important word!)
- Garage (again, with an emphasis on the first syllable) (Much like garret!)
Finbar and I keep threatening a more complete list but you know we are very bad at this blogging thing so you'll wait a long time to see the rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment