I (Sammy!) had the privilege of joining
about 150 other swimmers in the Atlantic for a mile swim to raise money for
cancer care here on Nantucket. Amazing organization, amazing event. The night
before, the wind was howling and I lay there a bundle of nerves, thinking about
what the surf would look like come morning. Jettie's Beach, just over the dunes
from us, is normally quite a calm beach with lovely sand bars and warm water.
But lately it's been breezy which sends the waves up into a frenzy. The day dawned
beautiful, still breezy, but filled with golden sunshine. Finbar and I walked
down to the tent so I could register and get settled. I opted for my wet suit.
I just knew I'd feel more secure in it and the added buoyancy was a
bonus. Around 8 my parents came down with the kids and we all took part
in the national anthem. Then I hit the water for two laps. Anyone who knows me
knows I am a pool swimmer. I have never met a pool I didn't like (with the
exception of a recent experience at a hotel at JFK). A mile swim is a good warm
up for me. But swimming in the ocean is a whole other can of worms. I expected
I would have the current in my favor in one direction but in fact, the wind was
such that the surf was heavy both directions. I was happy for having been
converted to bilateral breathing so I could face away from the waves and limit
the amount of salt water I swallowed (still managed to ingest a lot). I was
happy for an awesome coach who really emphasizes good sighting skills. And I was
grateful to have been reacquainted with a writer I love who is an amazing and
accomplished swimmer. All of these voices in my head carried me through the
swim. The beautiful day, the comradery, and the thought of the importance of
the money I had helped to raise, the people who would be helped by it, and the
fact that I was fit and well and could do this event...it all meant so much. In
the end, the event raised a remarkable $180,000 for cancer care on Nantucket. I’ll
be back and next year, hopefully the rest of TeamJacobson will swim alongside
me.

No comments:
Post a Comment